INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Getting there...

Slowly, ever so slowly I am getting there with this blog. The HTML is kicking my ass, but with the help of many tutorials I've googled I'm learning.

Unfortunately I didn't get to do the mock e-session with Shannon and Jason today. Luckily the weather looks like it is going to be great on Sunday when I have my next shoot scheduled.

Bridget is doing great in school and totally loved her second week of dance lessons. I had to bring Maggie with me which was kind of a pain. The whole time Bridget was in class she was running around getting into everything and she kept trying to run into studio so she could dance too. She would run up to the door and start knocking on it. Really cute until I picked her up to take her back to the other room, then she would start screaming.

The other night I made a copy-cat recipe from Recipezaar.com based on the Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden (my most favorite soup ever). My Mom made it too and both of us agreed it was spot on to how the soup tastes at Olive Garden. I picked up a pack of soft baked bread sticks from the bakery, brushed them with some butter and garlic salt to have the soup and it was just like I was at the restaurant! The only thing was that Safeway was out of kale so I subbed in fresh spinach, but that worked out just fine.

Zuppa Toscana Soup (Olive Garden Clone) Recipe #208429

I have tried quite a few different recipes that state they are a Zuppa Toscana Copy Cat but none of them had much flavor and while they were close I set out to make a soup that is Zuppa Toscana.

1 hour | 15 min prep

SERVES 8

  1. Bring chicken stock and water to a light boil and add potatoes.
  2. In a skillet (preferably cast iron or enameled cast iron) cook bacon until somewhat done and remove (but do not add bacon to the soup, save for a BLT or something).
  3. Sauté the onion in the bacon rendering until almost caramelized (golden color).
  4. Remove and put in boiling stock.
  5. In the same skillet add olive oil and cook Italian sausage (with casings removed).
  6. Add garlic with the sausage and cook until sausage is done and the consistency of ground hamburger meat.
  7. Add mixture to the stock.
  8. By this time check to see if potatoes are cooked by trying to squish them on the side of the stock pot.
  9. When they are done reduce heat and add cream and Swiss chard, salt, anise, red pepper, black pepper.
  10. Serve with garlic bread or corn bread (or even better an herbed Parmesan corn bread).

No comments: