I don't know why I have such expensive tastes when it comes to my hobbies and toys. Photography one of the most expensive "hobbies" to have. I think that's why so many amateur photographers go into business. Unless you have a rich spouse or make an insane amount of money yourself it's hard to justify buying a camera for $3,000.00-$5,000.00 and a lens for half that just for fun. Yes there are cheaper versions out there, but if you are serious about your "hobby" you of course want the best. I'm now having a similar problem with my love of reading.
How you may wonder? Well, I love to read and I read a lot. I also read quite quickly. A 300-400 page book will last me an evening if it's really good. I might be able to stretch it out 2 days if it's only ok. When I buy new books I often won't buy a book that's less than 300 pages because it's a waste of my money. Books are not cheap now a days, with more and more authors releasing books in trade size (usually $12-$16) and many of my favorite authors who were previously released in paper back are now in hard back. Even a regular mass release paper back is $7-$8! I do go to the used book when I can, but the closest one is 20-30 minutes away and I don't often go to that area. I do have a nice library nearby now that we've moved and I plan on renewing my library card and get Bridget one soon, but I like having my books and I reread them often. Which leads to another problem, storing all my books. PJ and I cleared out a lot of books when we moved, but between the two of us we are filling our shelves back up in no time flat. So the other night I was having dinner with my parents and the topic of Amazon's new Kindle reader came up. At first I was kind of opposed to the idea of an electronic reader. I love my books, I like turning the page and the whole aesthetic of curling up on the couch with a good book and a cup of tea. There was just something cold and unappealing to the thought of curling up with a cold, gray, piece of metal and circuitry. But then I started listening to audiobooks on my ipod. I used to wonder why anyone in their right mind would want to listen to a book when they could read one? But one day I was thinking about how much I hate doing housework and how much more I wanted to read my book. I realized I could listen to a book while I fold laundry, do the dishes, vacuum, etc. Now when I'm done with my regular chores I start looking around for other things to do. Then I started going to the gym again and now the time flies bye when I'm listening to a good book. No more looking down every 30 seconds wondering "how much longer till I'm done with this damn thing". So now I am looking into the Kindle reader with renewed interest. I love the fact that it can hold up to 1,500 books, the average cost of a Kindle book is between $4-$10, even for new released hardback titles! I can also download major magazines and newspapers (including the Seattle Times for 5.99 a month)and some of my favorite blogs. The battery can last up to 4 days on a single charge and you don't need a computer since it works like your cell phone does, but no monthly bills. You can also use it as a basic web browser and you can download the first three chapters of a book before you buy it. Also, every book I purchase is back up on Amazon.com for re-download forever, even if I dlelete the book off the Kindle. I want it, I want it very badly but the $359.00 price tag is a bit steep. If I had a million dollars......
Friday, February 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Interesting, looks like you should have asked for amazon.com gift cards for your bday!!! :)
Post a Comment